Company "B" History

Company Commander


Paul L. McPherran

Transferred to 106 Division as Anti-Tank Officer

Company Commander

1st Lt.

Frank E. Hunt, Jr.

Executive Officer

1st Lt.

Theodore W. Rabey

Liaison Officer

2nd Lt.

Homer R. Lindler

First Sergeant

1st Sgt.

Daniel A. Lawlor

The 628th Tank Destoyer Battalion was activated on 10 July, 1941, at the Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, near Lebanon, Pennsylvania. At first called the 28th Provisional Anti-Tank Battalion, the 628th was not known by its own name until 15 December, 1941 on the return from the Carolina maneuvers.

Webmaster's Note: A provisional unit is one that is temporary or conditional. It means the 28th Anti-Tank Battalion did not officially exist. Therefore, members, for administrative purposes, are usually assigned on paper to various units within the Division.

This Company, or Company "B", was made up of former members of "E" and "B" Batteries of the 109th Field Artillery Battalion of the 28th Division, a Pennsylvania National Guard Organization of proud military history.

In the early stages of training, the Company's main armament consisted of 37mm Anti-Tank Cannon, with an Anti-Aircraft section attached to each gun section. However, the majority of these guns were homemade wooden affairs, as were many of the individual arms and in most cases, individual imagination played a large role in the training period of those days.

On August 6th, 1941, the Company moved to A.P. Hill, near Fredericksburg, Virginia, where additional training was received for almost a month. Inspections and demonstrations were galore, and the Company returned to the Gap on September 15th, 1941.

September 21st, 1941, was the day the Company left the Gap to participate in the Carolina Maneuvers. It was during this time that the term Speed-Power-Destruction became a reality, with emphasis on "Speed". Blitzing over roads, very dusty roads, and across fields for more that two months and this rugged type training came to an end. December 6th, 1941 the Company packed up and headed for the Gap once more. Upon arrival it was learned that our country had been attacked and the men began to realize the importance of their training.

The Company left the Gap on January 10th, 1942, and was on the march for Camp Livingston, Louisiana where it began to lay the foundations for some excellent, tactical training. In March the Company was brought to full strength under the T/O for the first time, when the Battalion received some 450 new men.

Webmaster's Note: T/O generally refers to Table of Organization.

Under the capable hands of the officers and non-coms, the new-comers were whipped into fine physical condition. All summer the accent was on hikes and dismounted road marches, beginning with short five-mile jaunts and culminating with forced 30 mile marches under a hot southern sun that will never be forgotten.

In addition, a three-day period of firing on moving taget ranges with real 37mm guns at Leesville, Louisiana, proved most interesting and instructive and laid the foundation for the high degree of accuracy in firing that the Company constantly maintained thereafter.

On August 29th, 1942, the organization entrained for Camp Hood, Texas, hub of all Tank Destroyer units. The training there was speedily and enthusiastically received, and its famous obstacle course, grueling as it was, brought many laughs and a few thrills. The hand-to-hand combat, the Nazi village, the weapons firing and last but not least, the infiltration course, where the men for the first time had a taste of live ammunition, will be remembered by all.

While at Camp Hood, this Company set a new high in camp scores in the firing of weapons of all types, particularly the 75mm guns with which the Company had been recently equipped.

Due to cadres and men leaving for Officers Candidate School, the Company was again under strength, so a new quota of men was assigned and they had to be given their Basic Training, while at Camp Hood. The new men remained to finish their training while the rest of the Company moved to Camp Bowie, Texas, not far from Hood. Camp Bowie again was the scene of extensive tactical training. An Army Ground Force Test was given and the Company came through very satisfactorily.

Webmaster's Note: The term cadre refers to a nucleus of trained personnel around which a larger organization can be built and trained. Example: a cadre of corporals who train recruits.

Upon completion of the work at Bowie, the Company became a smoothly functioning team, ready for the next stage of training which was realized very soon when the organization again hit the road, this time toward Florida.

The Company arrived at Camp Gordon Johnston, on the west coast of Florida, on a cold and rainy day in mid-January, 1943. Settling down amidst the deep sand and chilly breezes, the Company went through all the phases of amphibious warfare, complete to swimming lessons in the Gulf of Mexico. Short but pleasant cruises aboard Navy LCT's broke to some extent the monotony of sand and water and of speed hikes in that very tiring terrain. An occasional invasion of Dog Island proved the training profitable. A very fine weapons school was established and soon every man had qualified and knew his weapon in all its detail.

In the latter part of April the outfit received the new M-10 Tank Destroyers and as soon as the men were familiar with the operation of these vehicles, the organization again entrained, this time the destination was Camp Rucker, Alabama. AFter the arrival, which was in the early part of June, the Company began its training. Tank trails and courses greatly suited for developing skilled drivers were available. Gunners had their fling at firing the new three-inch gun, and enough ammunition was fired to enable the crews to become fast, accurate teams. Field Artillery procedure was a new addition to the training and everyone was eager to learn this technique.

Came July and with it the Tennessee Maneuvers, the most useful training this organization had received thus far. Driving blackout became an art, speedy marches over all types of terrain were common, and above all, the training for the rough hard life of comabat, toward which all men's minds were directed.

Maneuvers over, the Company returned to Camp Rucker once more where the big job was maintenance and preparation for the next move to Camp Pickett, Virginia, where infiltraion courses, carbine firing, cargo-net climbing and a series of aircraft identification schools, made up the training. A short period of amphibious training at Camp Bradford, Va., interrupted the stay at Pickett. This training was more like the real thing, the loading on Navy LST's, the rides on the assault craft, LCT's, and the actual rope ladder climbing aboard the YAG, a very interesting type of training taught by Navy Personnel. Back to Pickett again, but not for long, when orders were received to proceed to West Virginia for winter mountain maneuvers.

On arrival near Elkins, West Virginia, a perio of particularly tought and vicious training began. cold weather, deep snows, and treacherous terrain combined, made this time a very memorable one. Another Army Ground Force Test proved the unit ready for combat.

In December, the organization moved to Ft. Dix, New Jersey, where inspections, issues of new clothing and furloughs gave proof to the belief that at long last the Company was really on it's way to that for which so many months of training had prepared it.

Christmas and New Year's past, the outfit entrained for Camp Shanks, New York, where ten days of processing of records, final examinations and care passed swiftly. A final last fling at New York City ended our army life in the States, and on the 28th day of January, 1944, the unit boarded the Troopship Acquitania moored on the Hudson River, and with mixed feelings said goodbye to the United States.

Webmasters Note: The History of 628th references the Acquitania. However, the correct spelling is Aquitania.

Sailing the following day alone and unescorted, the Acquitania began its voyage across the Atlantic to an unknown destination. An occasional Catlina Flying Boat gave a little sense of security, and daily boat drills broke the monotony of the nine-day voyage. The fifth day at sea, two unidentified aircraft flew over the ship and gun crews opened fire, sending up a terrific barrage which drove the planes off.

On February 7th, 1944, Company "B" debarked from the Acquitania near Upper Grasgow, Scotland. A long but enjoyable train ride took the Company to Packington Park, located in central England, between Birmingham and Coventry. There, additional equipment and vehicles were issued and a training period started. Later, the organization moved to Wales bivouacing near Aberdare, where a refresher course of indirect fire was given and put to practical use among the beautiful hills of Wales. It was near here, that some of the men witnessed their first bombing raids. German planes struck at Swansea, Wales and many planes crashed to the ground in flames. This pleasant and interesting phase of training ended on April 1st, 1944, when the Company returned to Packington Park.

In the early part of April, a new job was ordered for the organization, to be marshalling units for the troops destined to make the initial invasion of the Continent on "D" Day. Company "B" was to operate Camp Marabout, or D-7 M, in Dorchester, near Weymouth, from where the Allies were to cross the English Channel and strike with great force. The health and well being of the invasion troops was in our hands and we can say with pride, that we handled this important assignment with great satisfaction to the War Department, despite enemy bombing raids nearly every night.

Early in June came the time for Company "B" to be marshalled and the organization moved to D-2, near Bournemouth. The vehicles were combat loaded, a general review of tactics and firing was had and at last we pushed off for the combat which raged less than 35 miles away. On the 28th of July we loaded abour LST's for the Channel crossing and made the trip without incident. What lay ahead no man knew, but all were fill with excitement and for the first time the men felt that stirring in the bowels that was to become so familiar in the next ten months.


The familiar saying, "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country", was especially applicable to the men of Company "B" on 31 July 1944, when they debarked at Utah Beach, Normandy, to go into combat against Germany on the Western Front. The unit was extremely fortunate to have as its Commanding Officer, Captain Paul L. McPherran, whose leadership and soldierly qualities were recognized by all men in his command.

As the unit passed through Montebourg, it saw for the first time the destruction and horrors of war, for this town was now only a huge heap of smoldering rubble. It was during this inital march, on August 3rd, that our first casualty occurred, T/4 George F. Morgan, a cook, was mortally wounded from the explosion of a mine, which proved fatal the following day.

The march through Cosse-le-Vivien will long be remembered, because the column received its baptism of fire from snipers along the roads. At Houssay, the parent unit was attached to the 5th Armored Division in it entirety and Company "B" was designated to work in conjunction with CCB, having as its immediate objective the city of Le Mans.

As the main force approached its objective, the first platoon under Lt. Robert C. Jones contacted enemy ground forces, and engaging them at once, inflicted many casualties which opened a passage for the Combat Command. On August 13th, Lt. Roland A. Eubank, a third platoon leader, along with his driver, T/5 Francis Crawford and Reconnaissance Corporal Harry L. Ray, encountered an enemy patrol near Sees. After a short but brisk skirmish of small arms fire, they returned to bivouac with only minor injuries.

On the following day, the second platoon, under the command of Lt. Leon Rennebaum was assigned the mission to investigate enemy tanks operating new Le Merler-Ault. Although no tanks were found, the platoon did encouter a sizeable force of enemy infantry wich was engaged and routed with many casualties. Pvt. Alphonse Witkowski was slightly wounded in this skirmish and evacuated.

On August 15th, the company was attached to CCR and near Wonant-le-Pin an enemy armored scout car was spotted and destroyed by T/5 Carl J. Bennett. The unit was relieved the same day, however, and the next day saw parts of the armored columns converging on the important objective of Dreux. During this march, one column was ambushed by enemy Tiger tanks and the first platoon retuned to engage the enemy armor. During the engagemnet that followed, Sgt. Edward Barth was seriously wounded. The platoon sprayed the woods thoroughly, forcing the enemy to withdraw. Later, verified reports showed that the Germans suffered 300 casualties and the loss of two Tiger tanks in the fight.

Meanwhile, southeast of Dreux, the third platoon occupied positions overlooking the village of Muzy. A concealed 88 mm anti-tank gun, which had destroyed two friendly tanks of the 5th Armored Division a little earlier, was located and destroyed by the Tank Destroyers of Sgt. Mike Gasdayka and Sgt. Lawrence Elmore. Two other enemy tanks also were routed of their concealment and knocked out of action the "Fighting Third" Platoon.

Simultaneously, the second platoon was advancing northeast of Dreux with missions to secure and hold strategic bridges across the Eure River. While moving into position, Pvt. William Grizzle spotted a camouflaged enemy armored car which was destroyed by accurate fire from Sgt. Gilbert Moser's guns. This unit also repulsed light enemy attacks on the bridges, inflicting many casualties and destroying one enemy machine gun.

On August 25th, the offensive to reach the Seine River west of Paris was started. Several towns were liberated, large areas of woods cleared of enemy troops and our forward elements reached the heights dominating the river along the main Paris road in the vicinity of Orgeval.

The last day in August saw the company attached to CCB for the march through Paris. As the company passed through the city, the men were showered with kisses, fruit, and other tokens of gratitude from the jubilent French, and every man knew that a great milestone toward the destruction of the Nazis had been reached.

"Gay Paree" and the beautiful French girls were soon left behind, although not forgotten, for the unit turned north toward Belgium. Passing through Chatilly, Montlaville, and Fleurnes enroute, the platoons established road blocks at all critical points for passage of the body. On Sept. 2, the advance was stopped at 0400 when two friendly half-tracks in the leading elements of the column were destroyed by enemy 88 mm fire.

By early afternoon, units were reported to have reached their objective three miles north of Conde, France. However, while passing through Conde, the Company Headquarters section was attacked by mortar and small arms fire. Before the enemy was forced to withdraw, Pvt. Wellington Brundage, a machine gunner, was wounded. His wounds were fatal the following day.

The unit left bivouac on September 4th, and moved southeast with new missions toward the Meuse River. The following day the outfit was relieved from attachment to CCB and then attached to CCR, with the objective of taking Sedan from the enemy. While advancing, a body of Germans halted the column at the small village of Tilly, but supporting fighter planes took over and practically demolished the town, forcing the Krauts to wave the now familiar white flag.

The attack was then resumed and Sedan was taken without opposition in the late afternoon. Our fathers who fought there in 1918 would have been amazed at the speed with which this important objective was seized. It was during this advance that Pfc. Edward Michacinich met his death.

On September 8th, the unit moved through Florenville, Belgium, and into Mersch, Luxembourg, where it was temporarily halted by enemy action and a blown bridge, the usual trouble when there was a stream to be crossed. This time, however, we were fortunate, since the retreating enemy left a railroad bridge across the stream, still standing. In a matter of two hours the enemy forces were killed or scattered and the company continued into Schrondwiler.

Six days later, all platoons moved into direct fire positions on high ground overlooking Reisdorf. From these positions the mighty Siegrfried Line was plainly visible and the TD's blasted away at the concrete pillboxes. Late in the afternoon the company crossed into Germany at Wallendorf, the first American troops to drive into "Der Vaterland". The much vaunted Siegfried Line had been pierced and units had reached their objective, a hill about 1,000 yards northeast of Freilengen.

This hill, now famous as Hill 408 or, "Purple Heart Hill," was the object of fierce counter attacks by the furious Germans attempting to breach our lines. Meanwhile, to the northeast toward Bitberg, on the unforgetable Hill 298, the second platoon, under Lt. Leon Rennebaum, was engaged in desperate fighting. This platoon was supporting the 112th Regiment of the 28th Infantry Division, our old "comrades in arms". In close support of the foot-sloggers, the platoon was successful in repulsing several enemy counter-attacks attempting to dislodge the Tank Destroyers from their excellent firing positions. Sgt. Thomas R. Kearney and Sgt. John Kalis had fired all their ammunition and accounted for many enemy dead and wounded. Sgt. Michael A. Kull, while firing Sgt. Moser's light machinegun, was wounded and evacuated and Pvt. Grizzle and Pfc. Mastro accounted for a good many casualties among the attacking force. After three Destroyers were hit and damaged by enemy fire and the remaining forces were just about out of ammunition, Lt. Rennebaum gave the order to withdraw. During this operation, Sgt. Kalis was killed while leading his destroyer on foot from the position, and Cpl. Leo S. McCartney was seriously wounded while rendering first aid to another soldier. Others wounded in this engagement included Cpl. Louis Matchinsky, T/5 Nicholas Valenti, Pfc. Alfred B. Ames, and Pvt. Henry J. Maslowski.

For this brave show of arms, the second platoon was recommended for the Presedential Citation and Lt. Rennebaum subsequently received the Distinguished Service Cross.

Meanwhile, on "Purple Heart Hill," the enemy artillery barrage was increasing in intensity. On September 19th, the first and third platoons smashed a determined enemy counter-attack, with Sgt. Charles A. Mead and his gunner, Cpl. Ben E. Rice credited with destroying three Tiger tanks. In this action, too, Sgt. Herbert A. West and Cpl. Oscar F. Marting knocked out another Tiger tank and Sgt. John R. Ross and Sgt. Freeman P. Caretti destroyed still another. Under cover of darkness and despite terrific artillery shelling, the units withdrew back into Luxembourg, where two days later Pfc. James McClintock was killed by the continuing barrage.

The middle of October found Company "B" attached to CCA, just southwest of Herleen, Holland, in mobile reserve, guarding against possible enemy counter-attacks at Aachen. Daily showers and movies were a godsend to the weary men and their morale was again high.

On November 2nd, the company moved to Faymonville, Belgium, for reorganization and it was during this rest period the outfit received the new M-36 Tank Destroyers, equipped with the recently developed 90 mm gun. The unit was released from the attachment of CCA on November 8th, and returned to Battalion control to effect changeover to the new Destroyers. For the remainder of the month, the company went into indirect fire positions near Kalterherberg and Rotgen, Germany.

In early December the company entered the treacherous and furious fighting of the Hurtgen Forest. The first platoon, now under command of Lt. Basil Belew, while occupying positions overlooking Bogheim was under continuous enemy artillery fire and anti-tank rockets fired by enemy patrols, resulting in the wounding of Sgt. Caretti, Sgt. West, Cpl. Martin, Pfc. Edward C. DeWitt, and Pvt. Joseph F. Keller. The second platoon, occupying high ground near Strauss to repel possible attacks, also suffered casualties from artillery, when Lt. Rennebaum, Cpl. Adrian Smith, and Pvt. Ames were seriously wounded.

The middle of December saw the company engaged in the Battle of the Bulge. The battalion was detached from the 5th Armored Division and moved south to meet the armored spearheads of General Von Rundstedt's speedy offensive. On December 24th, the company was attached to the 83rd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and occupied defensive positions around Granmeniel. The determined enemy armor and infantry attack began at midnight Christmas Eve. This unit, after hours of desperate fighting, was forced to evacuate the town and occupied high ground overlooking the city. During this battle, Sgt. Moser's Tank Destroyer knocked out two enemy Panther tanks at 30 yards in almost total darkness, but Cpl. Patrick P. Pennetti, T/5 Grizzle and Pvt. Kent were wounded when their own TD received a direct hit and burned. For this exploit, Sgt. Moser received the Silver Star and Cpl. Pennetti the Bronze Star Medal.

On January 1, 1945, the Battalion was attached to the 82nd Airborne Division, in the vicinity of Chevron, Belgium. The following day the second platoon, led by Lt. Robert Joyce, and attached to the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, occupied positions near Haute Badeaux where, in the subsequent fighting, S/Sgt. Willie M. Stephen's Destroyer knocked out a Mark IV tank. While withdrawing for refueling the Destroyer was hit by an enemy shell and Pfc. Mario A. Mastro was killed, along with Pfc. William T. Waldon, attached to the platoon from Reconnaissance Company.

On January 6, 1st Lt. Frank E. Hurt, Jr., formerly of Company "C", took over command of the company. Capt. Mac Pherran was transferred to another organization. Lt. Hurt, whose bravery and leadership while with Company "C" set an example for all his men, was welcomed eagerly by the men of this company, whose faith in him was soon justified.

The third platoon moved into the attack on the sixth of January and the following day will never be forgotten. Moving toward the town of Renscheaux, the Destroyer of Sgt. Gazdayka, was hit by a concealed German tank and in the explosion, Cpl. Chester W. Kuta, T/5 William Ayers, Pvt. Charles A. Hill, and Pfc. Theodore Spalte were instantly killed. On the right flank the other section of the platoon under S/Sgt. Marvin R. Philips had advanced to engage in a fierce battle with a Tiger Royal, the pride of the German Armored forces. Both TD's of this ill-fated group were firing at the retreating juggernaut when an anti-tank gun hit Sgt. Lawrence Elmore's TD from the flank. Undaunted, the brave little sergeant and T/5 William J. Walters attempted to recover the vehicle but were killed when a direct hit penetrated the TD. Meanwhile, Sgt. George De Lia had ranged the German monster and halted it in its tracks. Then a freak artillery burst landed right in the open turret of the Destroyer, killing the game little sergeant and his loader, Pfc. Tandy Carpenter, and wounding T/5 Frank A. Hackimer, Cpl Adam Kiwior, and Pvt. Floyd Freeman. The heretofore lucky third platoon was hit hard that day, but for its gallantry and heroism beyond the call of duty, the platoon was cited by the commander of the 82nd Airborne Division.

Finally, on the 16th of January the company was relieved and assembled for a well deserved rest in the vicinity of Roanne, Belgium.

On February 6, the company was again in Holland, assembled near Herleen. still under Battalion control, Company "B" was again ready for combat and the latter part of the month found the unit once again inside Germany. It rolled east across the Roer River and maintained constant guard against armored attacks on the flanks. None came, however, and on March 10th the three platoons were hurling their shells into the bomb blasted city of Dusseldorf from the vicinity of Osterath. Now came the operation that everyone had long awaited - the crossing of the Rhine River and the drive to the Elbe River - and beyond this, perhaps, a drive into Berlin, itself.

On April 3rd, the unit approached the Wesser River, south of Minden. Enemy artillery fire halted the column and the second platoon, now commanded by Lt. Louis Duschschere moved into action and destroyed six 76 mm field pieces, thus enabling the task force to reach its objective. The destroyers of Sgt. James G. Harding, Sgt. James R. Murphy, and Sgt. Pennetti were commended equally for this creditable job.

Crossing the Wesser at Hamiln on April 10th, and advancing rapidly against shattered and retreating opposition, the unit secured the main attacking force by establishing road blocks at dengerous points enroute.

Webmaster's Note: The written history of "B" Company records the crossing at Hamiln. CCR crossed the Wesser on 8 April at Hameln followed by CCA on 9 April. It appears the written history contains a typo in the name spelling.

The Elbe River was reached one mile west of Sandenau on April 13th and with bridges blown, the unit never crossed this barrier. At this point, the company was approximately 50 miles from Berlin, the nearest of any American troops on that day.

Webmaster's Note: Again, the spelling of the town in "B" Company history is Sandenau. However, 5th Armored Division maps indicate CCB advanced to the Elbe, one (1) mile west of Sandau on that date. They would have been approximately 50 miles from Berlin at Sandau.

Unfortunately, a sizeable enemy force had been by-passed in the vicinitly of Rohrberg, Wittengen, and Suder-Wittengen, and the Combat Command was ordered to withdraw to reduce the pocket. On April 18th, the first platoon attached to Task Force Anderson was fired upon while moving in platoon column through woods towards Ludelsen. The lead vehicle, a jeep, was hit by machine gun fire from two enemy tanks and Lt. Belew, Pfc. Jont R. Green and Pfc. Orlando H. Longley bailed out seeking over in a nearby ditch. The tanks disappeared into the woods before fire could be adjusted by the first platoon destroyers.

Lt. Belew ordered his platoon along with three platoons of attached infantry to surround the woods. The Lieutenant, Cpl. James R. Smith, Pfc. Raymond Brushaber, Pfc. Walter Lindewall and Pfc. Anthony Constantino then entered the woods on foot and discovered the enemy vehicles and an undetermined number of enemy infantry. This informaiton was signalled to Sgt. West who immediately moved his destroyer into the woods. The destroyer gunner, Cpl. Ervin Prokipek, fired three rounds which destroyed the three vehicles. Lt. Belew was ordered to withdraw his small task force form the woods and let the Air Force take over. Twenty-four fighter bombers worked the area over with machine buns, rockets and bombs - really a sight for sore eyes. Later, the woods were thoroughly searched and eight enemy vehicles were found in smoking ruins along with an undetermined number of enemy casualties.

On April 24th, the company was relieved from attachment to CCB and all platoons assembled one mile south of Zasenbeck at the Company Command Post. This ended the tactical and combat operation of Company "B", and only a few weeks later the war against Germany came to a successful conclusion.

Much can be said about the firing Platoons and with due credit, pride, and honor, but the Company as a team could not have performed so brilliantly without the help of the Headquarters Platoon. T/Sgt. Allred and his Maintenance Section kept the vehicles rolling at all times. His untiring efforts and the aggressiveness of his crews, T/4 Culp, T/4 Minekime, T/4 Peterson, T/4 Tope, T/4 Purcel and T/5 Bauguess, kept the Company vehicles in excellent condition. These men did more than their share of the work destined for them, often working with other companies. It was in the Hurtgen Forest where their Retriever was lost when assisting another company retrieve damaged vehicles, it was blown up by a mine. Luckily, no injuries were sustained. Artillery, mortar fire, snipers, and mine fields could not stop the "Lucky Seven", when a vehicle was in distress. Many were the times this capable crew was subjected to severe weather conditions, but on they worked until their job was completed.

S/Sgt. Nodler and the Supply Section was combined with Mainenance until the "Battle of the Bulge", when it became necessary for the separation. The Supply had a very hard job, keeping the Platoons supplied with rations, ammunition, and equipment, T/4 Westervelt and Pfc. Keller travelled many roads that were never taken, but the Platoons were located and the supplies got through.

The kitchen, under the supervision of S/Sgt. Hutchinson played only a minor role in the Company's combat, but it must be remembered that the first casualty within the Battalion was a cook, T/4 George F. Morgan, who was fatally wounded when the vehicle in which he was riding set of a mine. Many were the times the kitchen was forced to set-up in cellars to prepare a hot meal, but much to the liking of T/4 Iacona, who could relax only in bomb-proof shelters, when there was "in-coming-mail". More than one meal was rudely interrupted by the remnants of the "Luftwaffe", who undoubtly got a whiff of Ingweillers' braised beef. After Bastogne, the cooks were suffering from "Barracks Bag" fatigue, but shortly, all had recuperated. The time can be remembered when the kitchen was setting-up in a town still burning, that had just been taken. The building was a former SS Gestapo Headquarters and due to the quick acting kitchen force all records and valuable documents were captured before they could be destroyed. T/5 Charles, Pfc. Banks, Pfc. Skole, and Pfc. Bourland often guarded prisoners and needless to mention, not one ever escaped.

S/Sgt. Kohlage, along with T/4 Hyatt and T/4 Leiterman made up the Radio Section, whose very important job was to establish and maintain communcations at all times. The tiring task of listening and reporting 24 hours a day was their job, but this job was efficiently performed and the Company was seldom out of contact. Radio adjustments and repairing were additional duties to operating, but these men handled their job with ease.

The Company is proud of the Headquarters Platoon, with it a smooth working team was developed and the successful performance of Company "B", proved it second to none.