75th Medical Battalion After Action Report, October 1944




The following is a narrative report of marches and battles of the battalion by companies for the month of October.


Headquarters and Headquarters Company, on the 1st of October was located in Ettelbruck, Luxembourg. Only one move was made throughout the month, a march of 70 miles to Waimes, Belgium on the 3rd of October. Due to the lull in fighting of the division, most of it was in Army Reserve during the month, a training program was carried on throughout the month. Battalion and Medical Supply worked to bring up supplies to their original T/E strength. On October 21st flying bombs started coming over the area and continued the rest of the month. Casualties treated by the treatment section were 629. Evacuation was made to the 107th Evacuation Hospital, 44th Evacuation Hospital, and 42nd Field Hospital.


Company A. Shortly after the first of the month, the combat command moved to the vicinity of Butgenbach, Belgium. We were tactically inactive there. The combat command developed a large number of respiratory cases. In order to keep the health of the command at a high level, in the face of changing weather, we began to operate a respiratory center. This prevented unnecessary evacuation and contributed materially to the health of the command. About the 12th of October, the combat command moved to the vicinity of Heerlen, Holland, in order to act as mobile Army Reserve in the area of the 19th Corps, however we remained in reserve until the 25th of October without being committed. On the 26th we returned to the Fifth Corps area, in the vicinity of Schoppen, Belgium. The combat command suffered no combat casualties during the month of October. The total number of casualties treated during the month were 335. Evacuation was made to the 67th, 44th, and 91st Evacuation Hospital.


Company B, 75th Medical Battalion Armored, still in support of Combat Command B, Fifth Armored Division, was at Stegen, Luxembourg on October 1st. While returning from evacuation hospital, S/Sgt. Morris of the 587 Collecting Company attached to Company B for evacuation, was killed when the ambulance hit 4 Teller mines on main road north from Diekrich in vicinity of Hoscheid. Ambulance was completely destroyed, but other occupant was unharmed. On 4th of October the company left Stegen and traveled 6 miles to Mosdorf, leaving again the following morning to march 75 miles to Waimes, Belgium. From the 5th of October to the 14th of October the company remained in the same vicinity on a rest period as CCB was not in contact. On the 15th of October, the company left at 1600 and marched approximately 35 miles to Forstbach, Germany the last 6 hours of the march being blackout. Due to bad weather, vehicles ahead were bogged down and the company had to bivouac in driveways in town. The next morning, 16th October, the company moved north of Forstbach where it remained until the 28th of October. During this period, CCB was in mobile Army Reserve, in the area of the Seventh Corps. On the 19th of October, 170 mm German shells were landing all around the company, about 30% were duds. No casualties were suffered. Most every night German reconnaissance planes came over the area and two flying bombs were reported. On the 24th of October, a British bomber was shot down and crashed mile from our area. More enemy shells passed over the area. On the 28th of October, the company moved via Eupen and Malmedy to vicinity of Faymonville for a rest period and remained there until the end of the month. Approximately 10 flying bombs per day passed over or by during three day stay. The company was given the responsibility for handling civilian medical cases in Faymonville, which included a minor outbreak of diphtheria. Capts. Jewett and Glick examined the entire population of the town, isolating the inhabitants of three households, and giving them temporary immunization. There were no cases of diphtheria among the troops. The total number of casualties treated during the month were 130. Evacuation was made to the 2nd, 44th, and 67th Evacuation Hospital.






Company C, still in support of CCR was at Ettelbruck the 1st of October. On the 3rd, a march of 77 miles brought the company in the area of Schoppen. For the next 8 days CCR remained in a rest period. On the 12th CCR moved north to protect the left flank of the Corp. The company marched 10 miles in the vicinity of Butgenbach. A week later we moved to Elsenborn. Flying bombs were sighted at this time. During the ensuing week Elsenborn was shelled twice by enemy artillery however there were no casualties in the company. On the 28th we moved to Sourbrodt where we remained the rest of the month. Here many more flying bombs passed over the area. The total number of casualties treated during the month were 323. Evacuation was made to the 67th Evacuation Hospital and the 44th Evacuation Hospital.





Capt., MAC

S 3