75th Medical Battalion After Action Report, November 1944




The following is a narrative report of marches and battles of the battalion by companies for the month of November.


Headquarters and Headquarters Company remained in Waimes, Belgium during the entire month of November. Division Medical supply and battalion maintenance functioned normally supporting the lettered companies. A combat exhaustion center for the division was put into operation during the month in Waimes under the direction of Major Secunda, the Division Neuropsychiatrist, manned by personnel of the medical battalion. There was an increase of flying bombs over the area during the month. A total of 235 casualties were treated during the month. Evacuation was made to the 44 and 67 Evacuation Hospitals.


November 1st, 1944 found A Company in the vicinity of Schoppen, Belgium, engaged in training exercises for future operations of the combat command. On the second day of the month we were alerted for movement to Germany in support of our organic troops who were to take limited objectives in the Siegfried line. On the third we moved to Rotgen, Germany and set up a clearing station. The proposed operation was cancelled because of the failure of supporting infantry to service the flanks. Going into a state of partial readiness and remaining on a six hour alert status throughout the month, we resumed training for future exercises. We also set up a convalescent home for minor ailments of the Combat command and supporting troops. Our average daily census for this establishment was 22. We also cleared sick and wounded for neighboring units such as the 62nd Field Artillery Battalion, 893 Tank Destroyer Battalion and numerous other transients. The medical officers of the company assumed the responsibility for the health of the German community when the local physician was removed because of known Nazi connections. On the 6th of November a Junkers 88 dropped several sticks of bombs within 600 yards of our bivouac but no casualties were suffered within the company. On the night of the 29th we were again alerted for movement with instructions to join the 7th Corps. On November 30th we were in Brening, Germany where our area was straffed by two FW 190s. No casualties occurred. A total of 328 casualties were treated during the month. Evacuation was made to the 67th Evacuation Hospital and 2nd Evacuation Hospital.


Company B continued to render medical support to Combat Command B through the month of November. On November 1st, 1944, the company moved approximately 12 miles from Faymonville via Butgenbach, Elsenborn to Sourbrodt to support Combat Command B which had the mission of holding part of the line in vicinity of Hoffen, Germany. We remained at Sourbrodt until 10th of November, when the company moved 10 miles by infiltration to the school house in Schoppen, Belgium to stay until the 16th of November. On that day the company moved to Mospert, Belgium, approximately 32 miles, to bivouac in a large farm house where it remained until the end of the month. There was no direct contact with the enemy except for buzz bombs which passed over various areas, averaging eight or ten per day. Casualties from the combat command were light, and being in buildings, many were treated that otherwise would have been evacuated. A total of 98 casualties were treated during the month. Evacuation was made to the 44th, 67th, and 2nd Evacuation Hospital.













Company C still in support of Combat Command R moved to the vicinity of Faymonville, Belgium on the first of the month, traveling a distance of 12 miles. At this time flying bombs became more and more frequent. On the 11th the company marched 26 miles to Kettenis, Belgium. On the 13th one surgical section moved to Breinig, Germany in anticipation of future operations but they returned to Kettenis the next day. The company commander, Capt. Mosier, was transferred to a General Hospital on the 17th and Capt Bartone was appointed in his place. On the 24th CCR was attached to the 8th Infantry Division with the mission of seizing Hurtgen. On this day one surgical section moved forward to Mularschutte, Germany. On the 25th CCR was committed and casualties were heavy, over 100 being cleared thru the advance section within 24 hours. On the 26th, CCR was withdrawn from action to reassemble but was recommitted the following day. Casualties were considerably lessened the remaining days of the month. A total of 434 casualties were treated during the month. Evacuation was made to the 67th, 45th, 5th, 2nd, 633rd Evacuation Hospital.





Capt., MAC

S 3